Bad Breath and Bacteria: Causes and Explanations
When you realize that your breath smells worse than the garbage can in your kitchen, it’s a humbling experience. Bad breath is one of the most common oral health problems in the world. Virtually everyone has some experience with it; smelly breath has no respect for age or social status. Even if you try your best to keep your mouth clean, circumstances you can’t control can result in halitosis that renders you silent in social situations. When facing such a stubborn adversary, it helps to know exactly what is causing that noxious smell.
Bacteria and Halitosis: How Breath Odor Happens
One of the more specific causes of bad breath odor involves the waste materials produced by bacteria in the mouth, stomach or nose that comes into contact with air. Research has revealed that several types of bacteria and their waste products associated with other disgusting smells are also present in human breath odors. They include:
- Hydrogen sulfide, the source of the rotten-egg smell
- Isovaleric acid, the distinctive odor of smelly feet
- Putrescine, which is to blame for the noxious smell of decaying meat
- The combination of oxygen, sulfur compounds, and nitrogen gases like cadaverine that together are responsible for the odor of corpses
- Skatole and mercaptan, substances present in feces odor
Other Causes of Bad Breath
Following are additional potential causes of bad breath:
- Foods and beverages such as onions, garlic, cabbage, curry, coffee, and diet soda
- Inadequate fluid intake
- Smoking or tobacco use
- Improper dental hygiene
- Medications such as vitamin supplements, psychiatric drugs, calcium channel blockers, antihistamines, and any substances that decrease saliva production
- Health conditions such as diabetes, kidney disease, sinus infection, throat or lung problems, post-nasal drip, dry mouth, and gastrointestinal disease
- A high-protein diet
- Corrective mouth appliances like dentures and braces
- Decayed teeth, dental abscesses, and gum disease
In light of such unpleasant revelations, the importance of good mouth hygiene and regular dental appointments seems even more urgent.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Flint, call Family Dental Group today at (810) 515-8952 or make an appointment.
Family Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Flint. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Family Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Family Dental Group.