Go to the Root of the Pain with a Root Canal
Root canals are rather common and can help relieve many dental problems. They are used to repair and save a tooth that is extremely infected or badly decayed. They are required when the nerve of the tooth becomes infected or the pulp inside of the tooth gets damaged. The procedure removes these decayed areas to eliminate any ache. Despite its reputation for being a painful procedure, most patients say it is practically painless. With an affordable dentist or a specialist in endodontics in Flint, a root canal also won’t be a pain in the wallet.
5 Reasons for a Root Canal
While some people never have any symptoms, these are the most frequent warning signs:
- Extreme tooth pain when chewing or applying any pressure to the tooth.
- Ongoing sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, even after they’ve been removed.
- Persistent swelling and tenderness in the gums.
- Recurring sores on the gums.
- Discoloration on the tooth.
See your family dentist or find an affordable dentist immediately if you’re suffering from these symptoms.
The Root Canal Procedure
Do you need a root canal? Only a dentist can tell you after a complete evaluation. If a root canal is right for you, it will involve one or more office visits and can be performed by your family dentist, another affordable dentist or a specialist in endodontics in Flint. The complexity of your case will determine which doctor is best. To ease your mind and your nerves, here’s a look at what you can expect:
- X-rays will be taken to see the shape of the root canal and detect signs of infection
- Local anesthesia will be used to numb the area near the tooth.
- A rubber dam will be placed around the tooth to keep the area dry and free from saliva.
- An access hole will be drilled into the tooth.
- The decayed nerve tissue, infected pulp, bacteria, and other debris will be removed from the tooth.
- The interior of the tooth will be thoroughly cleaned.
- The tooth will either be sealed immediately or covered with a temporary filling and sealed a few days later once the infection has healed.
- A crown may be placed on the tooth to restore it to full function.
Post-Root Canal Care
Root canals have more than a 95% success rate, so they should relieve all of your pain. But be aware that you may feel some sensitivity near the tooth for a few days after the treatment. Your family dentist will either prescribe medication or recommend an over-the-counter pain medication. Continue to brush your teeth and floss as you normally would. Most people are able to return to their regular activities the very next day with a smile of relief on their face.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Flint, call Family Dental Group today at (810) 515-8952 or make an appointment.
Family Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Flint. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Family Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Family Dental Group.